Sunday, July 3, 2011

Great News

So, I haven't posted in a little while.  I'm sorry.  I want to post at least twice a week, but with everything going on that hasn't been happening lately.  It may not happen in the near future either.  I have a job.  At Murray State University.  As a reference librarian.  With Business liaison (I really like that word for some reason) duties.  I'm an emergency hire (which means if they just hate me or I suck at my job, they can get rid of me next year), but I'm not worrying about that right now.  I'm gonna bust my ass.  Hopefully, that'll work in my favor come Spring.

The paperwork is mostly done.  I actually started work on July 1st.  I'm not allowed to mess with the tech stuff yet (have to go through all the HR stuff next week), but I did get to settle in a little.  One of the reference librarians showed me around and walked me through a few things.  The librarians and staff are just great.  They don't mind answering my silly questions and seem pretty relaxed as a group.  They all seem to get along and play off each others' strengths and weaknesses.  It's nice to see a group of people mesh that way.  I've worked several jobs where the people did not get along as a group and couldn't get work done.  MSU is way different.  I already feel included and like my work will be valued.  It's a damn nice feeling. 

I've got lots to do this Summer and during the Fall semester.  I've got an entire set of LibGuides to play with, accreditation work, instruction duties, reference duties, collection development duties, etc.  I'm also going to be working with a couple (few, dozen, ?) committees.  I find I don't mind the prospect as much as I thought.  Throughout all of this, I'm going to be working on some of my own research and attempting publication at some point. 

I'm overwhelmed, overjoyed, and looking forward to this coming week.  I'm excited and nervous all at the same time, and it's got my stomach all in knots.  But it's wonderful.  I love library work.  Especially academic library work.  It just never feels like "work" to me.  I get to help people find info, help people learn how to find their own info, research, write, contribute, and feel productive.  And I don't have to stay in one spot at a little cubicle all day.  I have various duties that keep me moving (mentally and physically).  It's just...wonderful.  So damn wonderful. 

Ok.  I'm done with the sparkly-eyed wonder of finally being an academic librarian.  I'm sure I'll find something to bitch about this semester.  Life's no fun without a few complaints.  :)

I'll try to keep up with posting.  Maybe a few things from my work.  But I'm focusing on the reference position, so the blog comes second.  I'm hoping I can blog on the weekends, but I make no promises.

Happy Fourth of July!

No comments:

Post a Comment